Contact advertising [email protected]

A few days ago a person asked me why I "disliked" The Witcher 3, and to your surprise...

M

Miyu Tsukino

A few days ago a person asked me why I "disliked" The Witcher 3, and to your surprise I have been thinking about the question all week. However, I completely lost that thread in my endless stream of notifications from various shitposting groups. Its not unlike me to rat out on a controversial or beloved title, so I thought to make a post. But before I get down to the reasons, I would like to say these reasons are very personal to me, and really are just due to my preferences, and past experience with RPG games. Another thing I would like to say is i'm not a person to be taken aback by fancy visuals or high graphical quality. I'm just as fine with a game of Wizardry Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord as I am with Crysis. That being said, this means i'm excluding the entirety of visuals and graphics in my discussion of The Witcher 3. I could care less.

I guess the best way to kickstart this off would be to say, I do not dislike the game. That's a stronger word for a much milder feeling, i'm simply not impressed by the game, or the game's story. Its not a bad game by any means, but does not make my recommended lists for reasons i'm about to provide.

The premise of The Witcher 3 itself, from a gameplay perspective. You play as Geralt of Rivia. He is a Witcher. He has a set fighting style, magic, weapons, and even demeanor. You get the idea. Its restrictive as an RPG, and completely counters the free forming feeling the game tries to portray in its narrative. If you really are to take on this hero and his quest, why can you not effect anything at all that he is, passed a few statistical and cosmetic changes? This is my core problem with the game, how restrictive, and the way it forces you to handle every situation in one way. To duke it out with a sword. And from a gameplay perspective, i'd say GTA San Andreas is more of an RPG than the Witcher 3.

That's not to say that's where my problems end. The story takes a similar fashion that Fallout 4 did, with a rushly paced objective, subconsciously forcing the player to trail the main story and stay on the beaten path. Like Fallout 4, I felt restricted to walk this path instead of trailing to the game's rich side content, in fear of wasting time I could be tracking the main plot. This form of story-telling never works for a free form game like this, and makes me feel like every minute i'm not on the main quest, i'm simply wasting time. I'd also like to make a side mention that many of the major plot points I noticed, came down to which woman you'd like your scarred hero to bone, a boon I found meticulously boring, and very stupid.

Once you did start to explore the side content, I was surprised to actually find side quests with actual story, and consequence. However, that is extremely dampened again by the lackluster gameplay, and the repetitive feeling it brings. Monster hunts for instance, always come down to the same dodge and swing, and the potion mechanic is usually all but forgotten. You don't have an option to sneak, no real ranged combat, or any other forms of conflict resolution, or even change of tactics. It made the side quests although a step up for sure in some aspects, no less boring than Skyrim's radiant style.

So there you have it, those who asked for it, and those who didn't now have my answer to why, I really don't think this beloved game is all that great. Maybe if it was your first RPG, or you never ventured far from Bethesda's or Bioware's style, sure I can see this being a very enjoyable experience.. but for me, it left a lot to be desired, and a lot of wondering as to why i'm not just replaying Neverwinter Nights again. Thanks for reading, feel free to hate in comments. ^-^

A

Alex Elward

agreed. I found it boring and linear.

R

Robby Bettin

How many creepy guys hit on you a week?

A

August Raymond Carlson

Nah, based on this article you probably only played this game a total of 3 to 4 hours. The game play was fresh and depending on what you were doing there was plenty of ways and quest that didnt involve hacking and slashing.

U

Uakada Kyiumi

I agree

B

Billy Wigmore

I couldn't have said it better myself :eek:

A

André Ewert

It’s pretty, but if you have sex in real life I guess it loses 80% of what people love it for ;)

M

Marc Risa

It's an amazing game but it's not a TRUE rpg game, and the combat can be very repetitive. How ever i disagree about the story the story and it's characters is all what makes the witcher an amazing game, it's an action adventure game more than a RPG, but that is the case with most third person games that call themselves rpg today imo Miyu Tsukino.

S

Sergio Barraza

I didn’t like Witcher because combat felt weird I like dark souls 3 combat out of any 3rd person game

C

Cillian Corr

I stopped when you said San Andreas is more of an RPG, you’re a fool, most scenarios you can get out of combat with a speech check. You haven’t played the game you’ve probably dumped 2 hours into it, fool.

J

Josh Hepi

Tldr

J

Jan Keith Castillo

A

Abdallah Sefraoui

The one reason I'd hate the witcher 3 is the unnecessary long dialogues, other than that it's a piece of art

A

Alexander Dunaway

TL;DR

B

Ben Peaty

Stopped reading when i saw the phrase "i could care less".

M

Mikal Harniss

TLDR, no one cares about your opinion.

R

Raymond Bridges

A few days ago a person asked me why I "disliked" The Witcher 3, and to your surprise I have been thinking about the question all week. However, I completely lost that thread in my endless stream of notifications from various shitposting groups. Its not unlike me to rat out on a controversial or beloved title, so I thought to make a post. But before I get down to the reasons, I would like to say these reasons are very personal to me, and really are just due to my preferences, and past experience with RPG games. Another thing I would like to say is i'm not a person to be taken aback by fancy visuals or high graphical quality. I'm just as fine with a game of Wizardry Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord as I am with Crysis. That being said, this means i'm excluding the entirety of visuals and graphics in my discussion of The Witcher 3. I could care less.

I guess the best way to kickstart this off would be to say, I do not dislike the game. That's a stronger word for a much milder feeling, i'm simply not impressed by the game, or the game's story. Its not a bad game by any means, but does not make my recommended lists for reasons i'm about to provide.

The premise of The Witcher 3 itself, from a gameplay perspective. You play as Geralt of Rivia. He is a Witcher. He has a set fighting style, magic, weapons, and even demeanor. You get the idea. Its restrictive as an RPG, and completely counters the free forming feeling the game tries to portray in its narrative. If you really are to take on this hero and his quest, why can you not effect anything at all that he is, passed a few statistical and cosmetic changes? This is my core problem with the game, how restrictive, and the way it forces you to handle every situation in one way. To duke it out with a sword. And from a gameplay perspective, i'd say GTA San Andreas is more of an RPG than the Witcher 3.

That's not to say that's where my problems end. The story takes a similar fashion that Fallout 4 did, with a rushly paced objective, subconsciously forcing the player to trail the main story and stay on the beaten path. Like Fallout 4, I felt restricted to walk this path instead of trailing to the game's rich side content, in fear of wasting time I could be tracking the main plot. This form of story-telling never works for a free form game like this, and makes me feel like every minute i'm not on the main quest, i'm simply wasting time. I'd also like to make a side mention that many of the major plot points I noticed, came down to which woman you'd like your scarred hero to bone, a boon I found meticulously boring, and very stupid.

Once you did start to explore the side content, I was surprised to actually find side quests with actual story, and consequence. However, that is extremely dampened again by the lackluster gameplay, and the repetitive feeling it brings. Monster hunts for instance, always come down to the same dodge and swing, and the potion mechanic is usually all but forgotten. You don't have an option to sneak, no real ranged combat, or any other forms of conflict resolution, or even change of tactics. It made the side quests although a step up for sure in some aspects, no less boring than Skyrim's radiant style.

So there you have it, those who asked for it, and those who didn't now have my answer to why, I really don't think this beloved game is all that great. Maybe if it was your first RPG, or you never ventured far from Bethesda's or Bioware's style, sure I can see this being a very enjoyable experience.. but for me, it left a lot to be desired, and a lot of wondering as to why i'm not just replaying Neverwinter Nights again. Thanks for reading, feel free to hate in comments. ^-^

J

Jason Harris

Good lord if I had any amount of money that I've repeated some variation of this

The Witcher 3 is not some standalone tale. If you go in expecting a story that truly is, beyond any doubt, entirely your own, you will be wholly disappointed. This is not meant to be its own story. This is the end of a story, spanning 7 decently sized novels and two other games(note, if you're looking for a game where you can have an effect on the story, should've started on TW2). This is like starting the Harry Potter series on Deathly Hallows. This is the final chapter of a story that's already laid out in the novels and the games.

Z

Zak Kirby

That was an interesting read, I've played witcher 3 for some amount of hours. In a game that is said to have free roaming at the core, I found clearing all the question marks from the map before heading to the main quest line, in sence boring and pointless. Soon as I get to big citys and all the quest are, head to this person, go to that person, kill the monster, talk to that person, etc. I get very bored of the game and lose interest in playing it.

N

Nazar Whatevah

I respect your opinion, you did make alot of valid points and im grateful that you made this entire post because it removed my feeling of being "the only one who didnt like it".

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom