Contact advertising [email protected]

Is there a reason why gamers don't use server CPUs like AMD Naples with 32 cores?

K

Kirk Dunkley

Is there a reason why gamers don't use server CPUs like AMD Naples with 32 cores?

M

Mike Magwire

Id like to know exactly why myself, I think its PCIe/threads

K

Kieron Prieto

Completely different platform, expensive, we don't need that many cores, not optimized for gaming.. etc.

O

Oliver Devereux-Burden

Lack of individual core performance. Server processors are designed to do a lot of things at once. Rather than one big thing. Games are only optimises for a few cores

M

Mark Jonah Dela Cruz

because server CPU usually have low clock speed
clock speed = more fps

C

Cleavant Griffiths

Yeah coz its a damm heater

K

Kirk Dunkley

Would this setup bode well in a 3D modelling/ rendering environment?

J

Jim Sweigart

Why would people want a 4 cylinder engine versus an 8 cylinder engine?

The reasons are behind both. I dont think I need a V8, and would like to save money on fuel.. Or, I need a V8 because I tow a RV..

Its the same with CPU's. Some are better at doing one thing very well (Gaming) and some are better at doing Multiple Things very well. But the one that does one thing well doesn't do multiple things well, and vice versa..

Now, thats not to say you Can't do multiple things with, say a Gaming CPU, or you can't game on a CPU made to do multiple things.. You can, just not as well.

S

Skanoko Siame

Its simple more cores more slow, they have good cache memory but they don't have consumer features such as overclocking and alother additive stuff, unless they added consumer features then and only then would I buy.

M

Mastrok Los Qtr

many reasons but the most important are
1.games require high clock speeds per core for best performance , and server CPU's have low clock speed and lot of cores ,
2. expensive ( cpu , mobo , ram)
3.lack of consumer features

C

Christian Agustin

jesus christ. that "naples" fck my mind.

M

Marcus Dean Adams

Because Intel told them for years nobody needs more than 4 cores, and the majority of games, even today, don't really benefit from having any more than 4 cores. 4 cores and a high clock speed would be better, right now, for gaming, than 8 cores at a lower clock speed. That being said, I use an 8 core CPU that works quite well for multi-tasking and gaming, and I see 8 core CPUs becoming the new standard in the next couple of years.

A

Andrew Makinson

Server architecture is completely different built more around long term reliability than cost saving . On top of that the vast majority of GPUs are built for an ATX board.

T

Tuan Nguyen

Power, motherboard requirements, ECC ram requirements, slow boot times (due to all the parts initializing), poor support, PSU requirements, the list goes on and on. It's not made for it as a whole and most people don't want to put the extra effort in to do it.

A

Alex Ruiz

Because videogames only take profit of 6 cores, more cores are useless

B

Baldovin Antonio

I may sound ridiculous ...but i use a mac pro 5.1 for gaming(my dad`s ex workstation) with an titan z and a quadro k4000!It use 2 six hyperthreaded cores xeon(12c\24t) chips and i can say that they are faster than a 7700k,i don`t even talk about that dirt cheep ECC DDR3.
But the main reason why gamers don`t use NEW server cpu-s is becose they are expensive....but used one like xeons or opteron are the real bang for the buck

A

Abhishek Vicky

Business processor would be equal to your entire build, in some cases you might be able to make two, that too the low end machines,

Y

Yuri Nko

They have less single core, games are not optimalized for that

D

David Ferguson

Simply because games are not optimized to use server type CPUs.

C

Chris Dewald

The way Naples communicates would cause latency issues with intercore communication if a multitude of things happened. Multi cpu systems have never been a good choice for games and MCM based cpu's act in very much the same exact way.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom