Contact advertising [email protected]

Hey everyone - can you help me with some setup guidance please? Here's my plan: Mac &...

C

Cris Mertens

Hey everyone - can you help me with some setup guidance please? Here's my plan: Mac & PC combo / 2 Monitors - Video Editing & Gaming Setup with 144hz, G-Sync - KVM or No?

I've got a 2013 "trash can" Mac Pro that I use for video editing and a gaming PC. When using Mac - I need both screens and when I'm on PC - I only need one.

I'd like to upgrade my monitors to 1440p (looking at the Acer Predator XB271HU for 144hz, G-Sync gaming & the Dell UltraSharp U2715H for color correction, video playback - so 60hz is fine). Just want to check my logic and see if either of these to build ideas make sense - and which one is a better choice:

SETUP OPTION A (No KVM)

Mac Pro hooked up to Acer via HDMI (60Hz), and to Dell via mini-DisplayPort (60Hz). Gaming PC hooked up to Acer via DisplayPort.

Use standard monitor inputs to switch between computers.

Simple USB KVM to switch over keyboard & mouse - and audio is handled externally via a Shiit Stack DAC/Amp Combo.

SETUP OPTION B (KVM)

Use the 'Tripp Lite B004-DP2UA2-K' KVM.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Mac Pro connected to KVM via mDP>DP & USB - then into Acer via DP (144hz). Mac Pro connects to Dell directly via mDP (60Hz).

Gaming PC connected to KVM via DP & USB (144hz) - then into Acer.

Then USB out to single keyboard & mouse. Again, audio is handled externally.

BONUS: This route should allow me to enjoy 144hz both on Mac (primary monitor only) and on PC :)

A pitfall I fear in option A is the monitor not being able to awake a sleeping computer:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Pitfall I fear in option B is G-Sync getting lost when running through the KVM. 144hz confirmed to work with this KVM though!

So which of these makes more sense? Or is there a better way to do this?

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom