Contact advertising [email protected]

Switch What is the best game on the Switch at the moment? And here's why its Splatoon 2;...

A

Aaron Hughes

What is the best game on the Switch at the moment?
And here's why its Splatoon 2;

There's The main story mode which, although short, offers a fair challenge sometimes, an ok story for a nonstory focused game. With well thought out bosses, Levels and a decent replay rewards its definitely a must. To be honest, how it plays out makes me think of a Mario Galaxy TPS.

Then theres the Salmon Run (not pictured).
Probably what I find to be one of the most challenging modes in the game on some days. It changes each time you play, sometimes a lot harder and more challenging than others. A co-op based collectathon where you kill a constant stream of baddies and (different to the story) unique bosses, all to collect special eggs for your employer. You have to work as a team to get as many as you can, while having a quota to fill in each timed round. And switching weapons each round while being unable to use any of the gear youve accumulated.

The main online modes are;
Regular battle; An all out turf war where your team has to cover as much of the map as they can with their ink, while (though NOT the main objective at all) killing the enemy team and stopping them spreading their ink in the same way. With alternating maps, a wide variation of gear on weaponary, and ability to change thr tide in the last second of battle, no turf war is ever the same.

Ranked Battle; A slightly more serious battle mode with a grading system depending on how well you do, and alternating battle modes keeping it fresh. The modes are as follows;
Splat Zones. A mode where your team has to defend a square that moves around the map for as long as possible in order to win. Rainmaker. A mode where its a race to grab a high powered weapon called the Rainmaker, and to try carry it into the capture point while your team defend you from the attacking team trying to do the same.
Tower Control; The idea is to get on a tower and ride it to the capture point stopping the enemy team doing the same.

League Battles have to same modes as Ranked but you need to have a team together, ranked B- and above in order to participate.

Then there are the Splatfests. Before they come, youre asked to pick a team (currently Ketchup or Mayo) of which you prefer. When the splatfest is on, the whole Plaza (hub world) changes with bright lights and music. Also all online battles close except for splatfest battles where you fight for your team!

On the Plaza theres plenty to see too.
There are the shops where you buy gear and weapons using money you get from fighting online. All gear is unique in the abilities it has, except for the primary ones. Each having upto extra 3 slots, none are ever the same. You unlock abilities when using the gear.
A character on the plaza will clear these abilities for you, for a price, so you can gain new ones. All the whiped ones can be saved as ability chunks and then applied to other empty slots on other gear items.
Walking around the plaza you will see characters youve fought against and along side, here you can check their gear, weapons and latest online post. When checking the gear you also have the ability to place an order for that item, to buy the next day, but with empty slots instead of the same abilities they posessed.
You also have the option of ordering gear from the Nintendo Switch app, which is then delivered straight to the game for you to buy instantly.
The Weapon shop offers weapons with different abilities, super abilities and sub weapons. You unlock more as you level up online.
Then theres a food truck offering food that gives you various bonuses in online battles. But instead of buying with money, you have to buy with tickets obtained in story mode, the shoal and the Salmon Run.
The Shoal is a place to host wireless battles for players near you in person.

Walking around the plaza you can also see hand drawn messages posted by other players on their twitter/facebook accounts. You can also see the messages as graffiti in online battles. There is postbox in the plaza where you can post your own.
There's also a big Amiibo box where you can activate your amiibo in order to get exclusive gear.

Throughout Splatoon (WiiU) s life, Nintendo offered constant free DLC featuring weapons and gear and new maps. They are doing exactly the same for Splatoon 2! I personally hope we get more on the Story mode, but I really doubt it.

Splatoon 2 is hands down the best game on the console so far. So Id seriously consider getting it if I were you!

"Dont get cooked... stay off the hook!"

B

Batu Onart

I agree with you its the freshest switch game right now

K

Keith Pickard

It's a fun game, but far from the best. Story mode is great but short, and the online multiplayer is literally the same thing repeated over and over again. Turfwar and Salmon run are fun until you've played them a hundred times.

J

John Lachovych

Best game on Switch right now is Legend of Zelda, Reason-Its the Legend of Zelda and one purchase that I feel like I'm getting what I payed for weeks and months of entertainment,I'm sure Splatoons 2 is great but 1st I have a princess to rescue XD

I

Ike Lavitschke

I clicked "continue reading" and DAAAAANG that's a lot of reading!!!

D

Dylan Averitt

Right there with you. Zelda is great though, probably better. But splat 1 was my fave wiiu game over all, played it forever. I Wil do the same with 2.

M

Matt Vuicich

It's fun but breath of the wild is by far the best game on the console

N

Nicholas Livick

Zelda, because let's be honest without it the switch wouldn't have sold so well.

S

Shawn Garrone

ARMS! because I didn't buy Splatoon 2 yet

N

Noeh Fa

Splatoon 2 is number 2 on my list.

J

James Mathers

Wait for mario Odyssey

A

Aaron Hughes

Shame I cant delete a lot of these comments. Because clearly a lot dont get what a rhetorical question is, nor what the post actually says, or the actual purpose of the post. But hey,

E

Elijah Jones

My only gripe with your post is you said "it's like a mario fps." When its a tps. Other than that i agree 100% its an excellent game

M

Marc Re Percussion

I will have more hours on this over any game of the systems life cycle, big call but I think the first one had it for me on Wii u

Zelda is a better game overall but this is a fantastic release and I'm cheering it came early in the systems life

J

Jimmy Barton

What actually happens then during the splat fest. Cause it doesn't sound that great.

A

Aaron Hughes

just a normal game mode really. Just fight to support your side.

D

David Storey

As Splatoon has abandoned local split screen multiplayer, it can never rank as the best game.

J

Joe Nicholson

Meh

P

Paul Phillips

My toss up for no.2 is between splatoon 2 and binding of isaac

R

Ryan Dale

I'm still hesitant to get Splatoon 2 right now because I mostly play portable and often away from an Internet connection. Is there much to do in the game as a single player offline?

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom