Contact advertising [email protected]

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Director Nearly Made Luke Skywalker Blind

News

Staff member
While the presence of Luke Skywalker loomed large over Star Wars: The Force Awakens, he only appeared for seconds at the end of the movie. We might find out more
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
since Return of the Jedi when The Last Jedi hits theaters in a couple of weeks. But thanks to director Rian Johnson, we do know there was the possibility that Luke had gone blind.

In an interview with
, Johnson spoke about going back to one of the original influences on the Star Wars series--Japanese samurai movies. "I had a brief idea I was chasing where I was like, 'What if Luke is blind? What if he's, like, the blind samurai?'" he explained. "But we didn't do it. You're welcome. Didn't stick."

Of course, the Star Wars series now has its own blind character--Chirrut Imwe, played by Donnie Yen in last year's Rogue One. But Johnson states that his idea for a blind Luke predated this.

The Last Jedi hits theaters on December 15 and also stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, and Andy Serkis. There has been plenty of promotional activity for the movie over past couple of weeks, including a TV spot in which
, and another that

Earlier this week, Ridley, who plays Rey in the new Star Wars movies, revealed that
. "I am really, really excited to do the third thing and round it out, because ultimately, what I was signing on to was three films," she said. "So in my head, it's three films. I think it will feel like the right time to round it out."

In related news, it was revealed this month week that
. Work on the next set of movies will begin after the release of JJ Abrams' Episode IX in 2019. In addition,
, which will be available on its

Speaking to
, the Star Wars 8 director opened up about going down the well-trodden Star Wars path of Samurai influences, including having a sight-impaired mentor:

Since we know nothing about what he's been up to in the 30 years since Return of the Jedi, fans are expecting to

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom