Contact advertising [email protected]

Soapbox: Professor Layton And The Psychology Of Puzzle Solving

News

Staff member
Warning: Spoilers contained within!

Like many others, the Nintendo DS has a special place in my heart. Preoccupying me for hours over several years, that little plastic plaything accompanied me here, there and everywhere and with it, my strange assortment of games. As a kid, often what was advertised to me were games featuring brands like Pokémon or Mario – titles certainly respectable and family friendly – but one day
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
caught my eye. My mum also had a DS, and hadn’t taken a fancy to the cartoony style and dark implications contained therein, so, hungry for a new challenge, the young me scrambled to claim the cartridge and loaded it up. It proved to be a fateful moment.

Ever since, the Professor Layton games – just like the DS – have secured a special place in my heart. Although I think they were at their most charming on the DS rather than the 3DS, I don’t think I could recommend a series more highly to all age groups. Although I played the original game long ago, I can still visualise some of the puzzles I particularly enjoyed, or swelled with pride after completing. I couldn’t have been older than 11 when I completed the Curious Village and in coming years I devoured other subsequent titles like
(also known as the Diabolical Box in the USA) and the
(aka the Unwound Future). And then the 3DS appeared and DS games (and series) shuffled over to their new platform; I shuffled along too, but to a PS4. As such, it’s taken me years to finally play
, one of the 3DS continuations of the story, and after playing it, I couldn’t help but notice how brilliant Professor Layton really is.

Read the

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom