Contact advertising [email protected]

Intel's next generation replacement for Kaby Lake is looking okay, it's a step forward...

T

Tyr Chlis

Intel's next generation replacement for Kaby Lake is looking okay, it's a step forward in some ways for sure, but not real exciting for anybody already on anything later than Haswell/Broadwell generation. Coffee Lake brings 6 cores and 12 threads with maximum turbo on ONE core up to 4.7Ghz, but maximum turbo for all cores together is only 4.3Ghz, falling short of 7700K's 4.5Ghz across 4 cores.

I find this news mildly interesting, but the more I use the 7700K, the less interested in upgrading for a LONG time to come I am. Coffee Lake just isn't offering anything I need really. The extra 2 cores/4 threads really aren't needed for gaming.

For those building new machines though or getting ready to upgrade, it seems the next few generations from Intel are going to be trade offs without a lot of forward progression in actual gaming performance. Look to AMD to take up a LOT of slack and market share in that time with Ryzen...

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom