Contact advertising [email protected]

Hey guys! I'm looking for some advice and please don't comment to just drag laptops. I...

• Thread starter Natashia Dawn Petersen
  • Start date
N

Natashia Dawn Petersen

Hey guys! I'm looking for some advice and please don't comment to just drag laptops.
I have an Asus ROG with a GeForce 960 and it runs on Intel i7.
With those specs, I was told that I should be able to run Witcher 3 at high and ultra while staying at around 50-60 FPS, while plugged in.

But I can only go to medium graphics without dropping to 30 or so!

I understand that gaming laptops aren't as efficient with the parts their given, but Is there something I need to adjust or am I just screwed?

Even my gaming friends don't understand.

A

Albert Dela Cruz

You guys may have the wrong idea about laptop specs. Yes it runs on an i7 platform, yes it has a 960 but it's a laptop dude. The hardware in a laptop tends to go much slower than it's Desktop counterpart why? because laptop parts have lower tdp lower wattage it uses lower power which means lower performance. take this as an example the a Core i5-2310 has 95w tdp while its laptop counterpart has only 35w it uses less electricity for the battery to have longer power but sacrifices performance. so yea even though desktops are more cheaper than laptops G laptops still aren't that powerful against its original counterpart. Hope you understand. Im not Dragging down laptops btw

Edit:
Laptop parts are 40% to 60% much slower than it's desktop counterpart if its really meant for gaming.

M

Mark Dave Juban

Aside from throttling when temps is high....960m is a pretty average gpu, maybe low average in todays standards

A

Alan Mc Enroe

Even laptops with higher spec parts(full size 960 is ok at best) will do that.heat is your biggest enemy with a laptop plus almost all the clock and bios settings are locked so not much u can do...a dirt cheap laptop and a semi decent gaming PC is always a better option than even higher end laptops...not hating on laptops it's just a lesson I learned the hard way

A

Aman Singh

Nothing to do with but you can low A.F. to x2 or x4

A

Andrew Starenczak

You need to learn which eye candy smacks the 960 the hardest. Make sure ambient occlusion and hair works etc are turned off. Anisotropic filtering either x6 or x8.

Shadows are fine, turn off any other suspicious effects and when playing flick one of them on, won't take too long to get it right.

Plus there really isn't enough VRAM to support full 1080p if that's what you're running. Dropping to 900p seems to be the sweetspot for 4GB mobile cards.

A

Abe Lambright

Do you have GPU-Z by chance? If so, we can determine what variant of the 960 you have- if it's the desktop chip in a laptop (which I believe was an option during the 900 series but could be wrong) then you should be able to overclock it similarly, if not identically if your power supply for the laptop is built for it. The 960M on the other hand should be the same core as the 860M (a mobile 750Ti) and that can be cranked by +135 on the core and +495 on the memory in MSI Afterburner safely, with Digital Foundry benchmark videos to support this.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom