Contact advertising [email protected]

What's up with the whole "Build A PC!" stuff? I've seen plenty people here who get...

R

Richard Philips

I really have no choice I have to upgrade my pc bit by bit I cant afford a whole new pre built pc

J

James Komarek

Main things to remember is the right socket for the cpu, adequate cooling and a psu that can deal with the combined power consumption of all the hardware.

J

James Komarek

Plus ram that is compatible with motherboard and gpu

D

David Quinn

The rewarding feel of acomplishment

G

Greg Abney

I like building, fixing, etc. Sometimes when I sit at my desk, and I think "wow, I built this." I've learned that any extra knowledge or experience could be useful at some point. This is one of them.

B

Benjamin Alexander Wood

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
I can get an 8-core with double the gpu power for this. This is why....

R

Richard Prescott

For me it's all about choice. Is always good to know your machine.

A

Alexander Wilson

I think it comes down to 2 main factors...
1. Price
Buying the parts individually and selecting all the bits you need, without the things you don't, makes for a much more efficient purchase.
I might not need/want that bluray player, but I'm going to have to pay for it.

2. The experience
When you finish your build and you go to fire it up for the first time, there's that moment of dread where time stops for a second and you recall over every little job you've done, making sure it's done right.
When the PC comes to life, the feeling of reward is immense!
You've built to the specs you wanted, in a case you chose, and created your own gaming/workstation PC

The downsides?

Let's be honest, to somebody who's totally new to building, the amount of information (And misinformation) is bewildering.
Take RAM for instance.
For the average non-techy, it would be easy to make the assumption that it takes DDR4 RAM and that's all there is to it!
But then you have to consider which motherboard supports the amount you need, the speeds you need, then there's finding RAM that meets the QVL list at the speeds needed, let alone the timings of said RAM!

For some, it's simply more enjoyable to buy a pre-built machine with warranty and backup, knowing they can simply plug it in, turn it on and everything will be fine.
Even if it's NOT fine, it's not your problem, it's covered by warranty!

A

Angelique Hoekstra

By building it yourself you gather more knowledge about computers.This way its easier to fix problems.Atleast thats the case for me.

Ά

Άρης Τζεβελέκος

Pre-Builds are : 1) a lot more expensive than buying the parts yourself (example : prebuilt 3000$ , part by part 2000$ , 2)prebuilds may include things tha you dont want/need and charge you for them , 3) most of the prebuilds have really bad parts that are ot good for the job . Example : a budget gaming prebuild might include 1TB HDD(not really needed rfor a budget build) , windows10 (you can download crack but you have to pay them if you buy the prebuild) a 50$ good for nothing case that you dont care about and most likely change in the future and then you get 2GB DDR3 RAM at ~1300 MHz an Intel Pentium and a GT 730 . Total price ~500$ ... with the same amount of money you can get a really good ryzen 5 build for example . So to sum up prebuilds are bad because : 1) overpriced 2)you pay things you dont need , 3) the parts that are included are not good choises and 4) (which i forgot to add before) some prebuilds are made in a way that you cant change them . What i mean is that if you try to put on a different RAM or a different CPU or a different GPU they will just not work (not that common but it exists) i hope i helped !

J

Jason Ryan

Its simple really. Its something you understand/enjoy, or you dont.

K

Kailash Gautham

Buying a standard setup will never beat the thrill of building your own...

M

Marcus Dean Adams

Personal satisfaction and being able to personally pick every part I want.

R

Richard Prescott

The first post of my current system took around 50 seconds of it going on and off while it did ddr4 memory training. Bios wouldn't show at first until I swapped from display port to hdmi. Glad they fixed that not long after launch as it was a little scary.

D

Denis Wölki

I want my setup to look like my vision I have in my mind. Either you love it or you hate it.

M

Matt Yeomans

I absolutely loved every single minute building mine, pay extra and miss out on that experience? No chance

M

Matthew Komadina

It's fun, but if u don't care, ibuypower is close to the same price as self built... Meh

C

Curtis Jonesjr

Cheaper,get the exact parts,case and point,alienware aurora i5 8400 1060 6gb for 1099 bucks,building something like it will run 900 ish
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

D

Dan Juniper

Personally, just a better selection of games. There are whole genres of games that don't appear on console, and also you don't need an old console to play old games, you can just play old games.

C

Chris Langridge

It is all about the 5 second boot times, and 60fps on games.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom