Contact advertising [email protected]

Switch Is two screen/handheld only gaming dead? My husband and I really enjoy our Switch and...

S

Sabrina Conley

Is two screen/handheld only gaming dead? My husband and I really enjoy our Switch and a lot of the single player games it has to offer. We've been discussing a second Switch but I want to hold out because I'm not convinced Nintendo is scrapping other handheld projects. I think we'll see a next gen handheld/2 screen announcement from Nintendo in 2018 but my husband thinks it will be switch only. What do you think? Is it switch only for the next few years?

F

Frank Ayers

Nintendo will be rocking the 3DS for quite some more time. They are not going to release a block buster like Metroid, then call it the quits. The 3DS is still their true handheld.

W

Will Bartos

Nintendo is still making money and supporting the 3DS, which is really the only game in town these days. Eventually I see it going away, as the Switch kind of covers the whole portable thing as well. While I loved the 3DS in the beginning, I haven't had a whole lot to make me get a New 3DS XL (although the Samus one is damn close and I might actually get that) to renew my experience. I will be getting Samus Returns, but I see 2018 being the last year for 3DS support.

C

Clinton Edwards

Nintendo is officially done with 3DS in 2018. After that the Switch will take the place of the 3DS has a Home/portable console hybrid. It would be pointless to make another handheld when the switch already functions as one.

D

Deven Blake

Nah, we saw motion controls play a big part on the Wii and then fall, I don't think Nintendo will hold on so tight on two screens. The only reason they did it in the first place was the price of a single large screen and that a smaller touch screen would keep the bulky UI controls from the top.

C

Charlie Smith

Long dead

S

Sean Sarn't Saucey Conley

The switch is a tablet.

It's a tablet with controllers and better developer support than current tablet/mobile gaming offerings.

That's all.

The 3DS served as a mobile gaming device that was bested by the Sony Vita in every conceivable way except for it's library and Dev support.

Now, consider the switch which bests it (the 3DS) in every possible way and takes about it primary function; portability. The Switch also potentially stands to take away it's massive library via virtual console and you're left when an obsolete device that serves absolutely no purpose.

Would you continue to support the 3DS beyond the next fiscal year and if so, why?

S

Spencer Miller

The 3DS supposedly has another two years of support coming to it so it won't die until then. I honestly think it'd make more sense to just focus on the switch since it's part portable and they can get more games out on it.

S

Shayne Maldon Strawser

Nope, the 3DS is still going strong and they have no plans to use the Switch as a replacement. So the 3DS is still goin.

J

Jay Ybarra

Metroid is coming out next month. I think they'll keep pushing a few more years

R

Ronald Elsner

Around 2019 or so left on it

D

David Storey

I think everyone is missing the point. Nintendo won't abandon the handheld because of price point. An $80 handheld is much easier for parents to buy their kids than a $300 Switch.

B

Bojan LoneWolf Nikolovski

No new 3ds replacement handheld. The 3ds will go to the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, when then it will be switch only.

B

Brad Hall

It might depend a lot on what the future of the console market is. Like... will Nintendo's next big console be a hybrid like the Switch? Or will you only be able to play it on the tv? Or will it be something else we don't even know about? But I'd say they will support the 3DS a couple more years at least and then you might hear of a new portable or maybe a new "Switch" that does everything

S

Shane Rupert

Switch is the future. The only truly new hardware will just improve upon Switch tech. We might see more 3DS versions though.

A

Anthony Vaccarella

I say a few more years

J

João Pedro Lang

Nintendo needs to sacrifice the 3DS at the altar of the Switch so that the Switch may thrive for the years to come...

F

Frank Arlinghaus

I expect the 3ds line to continue. At $300, the switch is as expensive as the 3ds at launch, and that didn't sell well- it's a reasonable price for a home console, but proves expensive for a portable.

The major thing that will determine the existence of the 3ds is whether it continues to be profitable. As of yet, it has been.

D

David Culp

For me, the 3DS and its relatives are the greatest console Nintendo has ever put out. The Switch, at least to me, is not really a highly portable system. It is more fragile and expensive than the 3DS. As a parent, I cant see letting my 7 year old take the Switch in her backpack to school. However, I have 0 problems with her 3DS XL. It is small, light, and very durable. I am hoping that Nintendo brings out a more durable Switch in the near future.

D

Derek Strickland

Absolutely not. The 3DS will live on for another 2-3 years ;) Its replacement should be a Switch Mini, and it may even have dual-screens. I'd love it if the 3DS replacement played 3DS games, too.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom