Contact advertising [email protected]

I need advise/help. For those who own or have had a x299 motherboard here are my...

T

Tony Landers

I need advise/help. For those who own or have had a x299 motherboard here are my questions.
There is a huge complaint involving Intel and the board makers about VROC with the x299 boards. I need to know if i mount two 1tb Intel p600 NVMe m.2 ssd's onto a dimm.2 riser card that comes with the apex and rampage 6 extreme mobo's. And put it into the dimm.2 slot that is on these boards if i can setup in the bios a bootable raid 0 drive that windows 10 will recognize..????
I've been told so many different answers I need someone that has done it let me know that it can be done. And explain how to do it. Raid 0 should be free without the need to pay for a key from Intel.
I have two Samsung 1tb m.2 ssd's but have been told that using them I cannot do a raid 0 setup. I can return 1 of them and get the two Intel p600 1tb NVMe m.2 ssd's and have conflicting answers about going about to set 2 of them in raid 0 and a bootable drive. If anyone has done this please advise. .
I don't understand why asus would make a mobo with the capibilitys of putting in it 3 m.2 drives but not be able to set them up as raid 0 and the main bootable drive/drives ????????.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Pic of the riser card with two 1tb Samsung NVMe m.2 ssd's with ekwb heat sinks mounted on them..

D

Dustin Chamberlain

I see no reason you couldn't do bootable RAID 0 NVMe drives... my Z170 board can do it (Asus Z170-A). From my understanding, the X299 RAID limitations are only really for the unorthodox or extreme versions of RAID, you still get your basic RAID 0, 1, 10, etc out of the box without the pay gate through the chipset. Not sure exactly how your motherboard will accept it, for example if I want RAID 0 NVMe on my Z170-A I need to use the M.2 slot and ONLY the third x16 PCIe slot with a riser card installed in order for it to work together, but if you check your motherboard manual I'm sure it'll tell you how to do it (although I would imagine two drives on your DIMM.2 stick would be an acceptable configuration

As far as "how to do it" goes.... look on youtube/google for bootable RAID 0 guides. Its a pain in the ass to set up, but largely its pretty straightforward.

T

Timothy Johnson

From what I've read, only Intel NVMe SSDs in RAID 0 can be made bootable using the CPU PCIe lanes, it won't allow SSDs from any other vendor to be made bootable in any form of RAID, RAID 1/5/10 etc require the hardware key, if you use M.2 slots that are coming from the chipset, then it'd be fine (though a single M.2 probably has the speeds to max the chipset lanes).

T

Tony Landers

Thanks Timothy Johnson

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom