Contact advertising [email protected]

Hey guys, I need some RAM help. I have a g.skill 16GB DDR4 3600 RAM kit that will not...

F

Frank Osorio

Hey guys, I need some RAM help. I have a g.skill 16GB DDR4 3600 RAM kit that will not run at full speed. The kit will only go up to 3200, even with xmp. I tried to manual oc the ram to 3600 in bios, but the system becomes unstable and sometimes wont boot. The mobo I have, Asus z370-i, is supposed to support the ram's advertised speed. I also I called the vendor and they said that "ram speed is sort of like a silicon lottery and sometimes you'll get ram that will run that fast, sometimes you wont" - That seems wrong, especially if the ram is advertised at a specific speed. Am I missing something here?

My setup is as follow:
MB: Strix z370-i
CPU: 8700K
RAM: g.skill Trident RGB 16GB DDR4 3600
PSU: Corsair SF600

K

Kane Hewson

I have the same ram with a z370h board and it runs at 3333mhz but anymore it crashes. I think its more a mobo problem then ram

M

Manuel Fredrick Thodos

False... The x299 board for Intel can run at 4800mhz....

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

M

Manuel Fredrick Thodos

So it is more mobo then anything like stated above.

R

Ryan Bloch

Intel doesn't guarantee that ram speed so you're out of luck

T

Timothy Johnson

The IMC (memory controller) in your CPU could be fairly poor, that'd result in not being able to run your RAM at max speed

J

Jacob Mier

If your motherboard doesn’t support 3600 then it will be unstable at 3600. It will run at default stable speeds. Maybe your cpu doesn’t support 3600. Those are my thoughts.

A

Adrian Chase

most am4 motherboards don't allow 3600 the x370 motherboards commonly only do 3200 o.c. and it just gets lower from there

P

Pepe Salazar

It may be the mobo check the specs for it

J

Jarrod Freeman

The bottleneck here is the motherboard

D

Dylan Knights

Check specs of mobo and off is capable then overclock your cpu to get it to match

S

Sean Kinniburgh

Ram speed is a lottery, the speed on the ram is a theoretical speed, silicon quality does really have an effect. Also sanctioned speeds for every motherboard in the world doesn't currently go over 3000mhz if you over clock past that and burn out your not covered buy warranty even if the speed on the ram says 3600

M

Myles Ward

That sucks, my g.skill flare x 3200 runs reliably at 3600, had ripjaws v 3400 before and they struggled to run even at 3466

A

Aaron Hunt

since you manually tried to set the speed make sure you manually set the timings as well or it wont run most the time

A

Alex Landreau

Try upping the voltage a bit

R

Richard Gooden

That chip supports DDR4-2666, so perhaps it doesnt like it running much faster?

N

Nick Morley

I have the Z370-E and the exact same RAM. Runs at 3600Mhz. Actually like 3610 or something the last time I saw it. I saw return it and buy it from somewhere else.

Q

Quinton Gordon

My x399 mb can’t run my 3000 RAM at 3000. I get 2133. If I oc it it crashes

C

Conner Keys

They likely advertise it as “up to” 3600mhz so that they are covered when it doesn’t reach that high.

J

Jason Dudek

Since the memory controller is actually part of the processor, it's probably more a processor issue.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom