Contact advertising [email protected]

Can I and should I plug surge-protected power strips into a UPS?

J

Jacob Evans

Can I and should I plug surge-protected power strips into a UPS?

M

Michael Allen

You might want to check the UPS manufacturer. Powerware UPS units say not to that the UPS has one built into the unit so again you may want to double check to avoid damaging components or the UPS its self!

T

Thiago Sousa

Best practice dictates we never use power strips in the rack. Use a PDU off a UPS or plug directly into the UPS.

J

Jacob Evans

I probably won't have to honestly. If I get a UPS with enough slots.

C

Charles Gulotta

Never use a surge protector on a UPS. If you need more plugs, find a non protected power strip

J

Jacob Evans

I'll just get a 12 outlet. It's more that enough for my needs.

A

Allen Michael

You can get a cheap power strip from any hardware store, Although I don't think you'll have any issues with a surge protector on a UPS as long as you are not pulling more power from the wall than what the UPS says it can do.

J

Jarrod Freeman

The primary role of any UPS is to provide short-term power when the input power source fails. However, most UPS units are also capable in varying degrees of correcting common utility power problems:

Voltage spike or sustained over voltage
Momentary or sustained reduction in input voltage
Noise, defined as a high frequency transient or oscillation, usually injected into the line by nearby equipment
Instability of the mains frequency
Harmonic distortion, defined as a departure from the ideal sinusoidal waveform expected on the line

M

Marcus Dean Adams

It depends on how much you're drawing really. If it's a whole bunch of wall-warts that aren't drawing much but won't all fit together on the half dozen powered outlets on the UPS, then I don't think it would be a problem. I've got just a dollar store power strip plugged into one of my battery powered outlets that powers my speakers, a 13.8V/5amp power supply for running my CB radio, a lamp with LED bulbs in it so that if the power goes out we have a normal light to turn on in the house, the printer and the cordless phone base. My PC and monitor however are plugged directly into the UPS.

I just run everything I can that I remotely value off the batteries so that not only are those items protected from surges, failures, etc., but they also get much cleaner, regulated input power and less of the "noise" from the mains.

J

Jordan Nelson

No, as it could be sent away at any time and given to someone else. Too risky

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom