Contact advertising [email protected]

Need some electrical help if possible. My PC keeps breaking the circuits in my...

J

Joe Fileccia

Need some electrical help if possible. My PC keeps breaking the circuits in my apartment. Did some googling and found it might be a faulty power supply. RMA'ed the power supply, just put the new one in and now instead of only breaking circuit sometimes, it's doing it every time I turn the PC on. It would never cut out during use, only when I turn it on.
Did some more googling and am still pretty lost. I read it could be a faulty breaker, or the breaker can't support all my electronics.
It's a one bedroom apartment with most of the electronics being on the same circuit (seeing as when the circuit breaks everything loses power in this half of the apartment). I don't really have the option to move the electronics another place in the apartment. Just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge before I resort to unplugging everything when going to use my computer. Anything helps and is appreciated.

Build
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X
CPU Cooler: Hyper T4
MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU: GTX1080 08G-P4-6183
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Storage: Samsung - SM951 / Seagate - Constellation ES 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM750i
Case: Rosewill Thor V2
CD Reader: Asus - DRW-24B1ST
Wireless Card: Asus - PCE-AC88

Included a Picture of the switch that keeps breaking

L

Lucas Sheard

Sounds like you have a shit circuit, I would find somewhere else to live.

S

Scott McCall

15 amp is standard. But if its an older building or a retrofit apartment it could have more than just one room on that circuit. Try shutting/unplugging everything else and try.

L

Lucas Sheard

That's what I'm thinking ^ you probably have a neighbor who's got a bunch of stuff plugged in

J

Jason Pritchard

Try unplugging everything on the circuit and trying just your PC

C

Craig Boyce

Talk to your landlord about the issue too they can sometimes shed light on whats on a curcuit.

J

Jeremy Chafin

You could try using an extension cord and plug it in on the other half of the apartment just to see if it trips that too

C

Chris Steezmour-Fussell

those Arc Flash breakers are shit, sucks they are code in bedrooms, cant even plug a vacuum into it without tripping, what it detects it spikes in the current, maybe your power supply peaks quickly and levels out, possible. You can fix this buy plugging it into a hallway outlet or somewhere that isnt a bedroom.

Second it could be over usage, 15amp breaker can only handle about 1500 watts. Depends what you have plugged in, space heaters and or AC i can see but best test is unplug everything at try, but i have a feeling its the first reason i mention

W

Wehtam Mathew

1800 watts of load on that breaker you have to much stuff on that line and yes serge loading of starting inductors like motors and switch mode power supplies and transformers will spike higher than that.
you have a few options add another circuit to the house or remove some of the appliances off that circuit. or live some where where their is a 240 volt mains supply

E

Eric Cuadrado

Get a 20 amp breaker

E

Eric Cuadrado

If its bc breaker cant keep up with your usage, if its nkt the breaker you might have a ground in that outlet you are using

J

Joe Fileccia

Just tried it with everything unplugged and it still killed the power.

E

Eric Cuadrado

Try plugging the computer in another socket and see if jt does same thing

C

Chris Steezmour-Fussell

try a hallway plug

C

Chris Steezmour-Fussell

something that isnt on an arc flash breaker but still 15amp rated

B

Brian Cartwright

Electrician here: electronics and afi breakers don’t get along very well. ESP early generation afi breakers. Best bet would be plug into a circuit that isn’t afi. Usually one that’s outside the bedroom depending on when your unit was constructed.

B

Brandon Wassmer

huehue siemens...

D

Dustin Cranmer

Dont tell your landlord and turn that 15 into a 30 or 40 and you should have you breaker flippin issue fixed

J

Joe Fileccia

Went ahead and switched my PSU to another appropriate model (CX600) and nothing broke. I have to do some other testing with other electronics plugged in still

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom