Monster Hunter Wilds: hands-on report

News

Staff member
I recently had the opportunity to play Monster Hunter Wilds, the next installment in the hunting action series Monster Hunter, and take on a single-player quest to hunt the fanged beast Doshaguma.

Seamless, load-free traversal

Handler Alma gives players a quest to hunt down Doshaguma in the Windward Plains. Players can now take two weapons into a quest, so I selected a Switch Axe and a Light Bowgun, securing a versatile tactic of both close and long-range combat.

Once prepared, I embarked on a journey to the Windward Plains on my very own ridable Seikret. Expecting a familiar loading screen, I was instead greeted by a seamless transition into the field. That’s right, base camp is now seamlessly integrated into the game’s vast world.

Riding the nimble, invaluable Seikret

The Seikret boasts an autopilot option, which gave me a hands-free ride to the location Alma marked on my map. The beast of burden’s ability to traverse rough terrain reminded me of the Jagras and Kestodon companions from Monster Hunter World.

Even in autopilot mode, players retain control over the Seikret with the left analog stick, allowing them to deviate from the path if they spot something that piques their interest. Once done exploring, the Seikret will resume its automated journey to the Doshaguma’s locale. I was pleasantly surprised that I could still collect items and wield weapons while riding my mount..

Large Dung Pods repel packs of monsters

Upon arriving at the destination, I was met by a pack of Doshaguma, the largest of these being the quest target. After I landed a hit on the boss, the rest of the pack instantly stampeded me. Dealing with multiple monsters and the boss simultaneously added to the challenge of this hunt.

To break up the pack, the newly introduced Large Dung Pods are deemed highly effective. Firing the stinky pod at the pack causes a noxious explosion that breaks the group up. After a quick chuckle at the humorous sight of the repulsed monsters, it was time to give chase.. With a whistle I called my feathered mount – who remains nearby during my clash – back to my side. Back in the saddle, I resumed my hunt.

View and download image
Download the image

Close

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

View and download image
Download the image

Close

SOS flare summons NPC support hunters

While on my hunt for Doshaguma with Palico, an SOS Flare tutorial popped up on the screen. Existing Monster Hunter players know an SOS Flare allows players to recruit other players during quests for multiplayer play. However, in Wilds, you can enjoy the same feature and also summon NPC hunters. I’m sure Wild players will find this unique feature—allowing them to enjoy a four-player multiplayer challenge, even when playing solo—quite refreshing.

New Wound System and Focus Mode elevate the hunt

When attacking the Doshaguma with the Slash Axe, I noticed glowing red spots began to form at the impact points and quickly learned that targeting these weakpoints dealt significantly more damage. Holding the L2 trigger to activate the Focus Mode effectively maximizes the damage. In Focus Mode, a targeting reticle on the screen and a red highlight on the monster’s wounds make it easier to aim, and players can also wield a special Focus Strike for extensive damage.

Switching between weapons made easy

I didn’t forget to test my other weapon, the Light Bowgun. In Wilds, weapons can be switched even while riding the Seikret. As mentioned, the Seikret can be summoned with a whistle amid combat, and players can switch weapons with the right directional-button while riding on its back. In addition to these remarkable features, players can now use healing items or a whetstone while riding this reliable companion.

The L2 trigger, which previously activated the Aiming Mode for ranged weapons like the Light Bowgun in Monster Hunter World, now also functions as the new Focus Mode in the upcoming title. Players familiar with the Light Bowgun will likely adapt to this new Focus Mode rather quickly. When aiming a monster’s wound, landing a significant hit triggers a notification for wound destruction, creating an exemplary chance for additional attacks on the incapacitated monster.

Dramatic hunting in sandstorms

As I pursued my Doshaguma target, the weather took an unexpected turn, plunging me into a sandstorm. While it’s unclear if the hunting progress had anything to do with this change, the darkening skies and rumbling thunder heightened the thrill of the hunt’s impending climax.Lightning striking the ground nearby also caught me completely off guard. I assume that the ability to adapt to weather changes is a key factor in successful hunts.

Although my time hunting down and ultimately defeating the Doshaguma was short, I was able to experience pleasant and seamless traversal, break up packs, play with support hunters, test out the new Wound System and Focus Mode, switch weapons, and witness drastic weather changes during the playtime. I’m excited to see what other Monster Hunter Wilds information Capcom is planning to share ahead of its 2025 release.

Top Bottom