Contact advertising [email protected]

Feature: Remembering Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 20 Years Later

News

Staff member
A story of the best game ever made.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
turns 20 years old today. It's older than this site; in fact, it's older than most gaming sites. Despite its age, Ocarina's influence can be found in games big and small to this day. It's also still the highest rated game of all time according to Metacritic. It's still an incredible game by 2018's exacting standards of quality and presentation, but in 1998, it was legendary. To truly understand its cultural impact, you had to be there. I was, and I want to tell you all about it.

The story of Ocarina of Time begins years before its release, in late 1995. That year, Nintendo held what was then an annual event all their own, known as Shoshinkai, or Spaceworld. The 1995 show served as the Nintendo 64's coming out party: Nintendo showed off the hardware and over a dozen games, but for me, there was only one thing shown that mattered: the Zelda 64 tech demo. It was a scant 10-second video, but it was all my 13-year-old-self cared for. I decided at that moment that I had to have a Nintendo 64 and that I had to have it on day one, as I was convinced that surely Zelda would release alongside the ground-breaking console.

Read the

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom