Fantasian: Neo Dimension on PS5 – hands-on report

News

Staff member
Produced and written by the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi, and accompanied by a mesmerizing score from Nobuo Uematsu, Fantasian: Neo Dimension’s release on PS5 is set to enchant both new players and long-time Final Fantasy fans alike. Despite being originally designed for mobile in 2021, Fantasian is a full-scale JRPG with undeniable charm. I recently had the chance to dive into an early preview through the Ancient Hill area with Leo, Kina and Cheryl in my party. This segment included a few voiced cutscenes, a small area to explore, and a handful of fights, including an enigmatic special encounter and a classic boss battle. Here’s what stood out.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

What’s new in this version

Fantasian: Neo Dimension brings several exciting upgrades with its release on PS5. The most noticeable is the stunning 4K resolution, which makes every detail of the meticulously crafted world pop with breathtaking clarity. Another welcome addition is the dual-language voice acting. Whether you prefer the authenticity of Japanese dialogue or the accessibility of English, Fantasian: Neo Dimension offers a fully voiced experience that brings its cast to life. Finally, the addition of an easier difficulty option means those who are new to the genre will get an easier time going through the title despite its classic JRPG difficulty.

One of the most intriguing new features is the ability to customize your soundtrack. For battles, players can choose between the original music composed for Fantasian —which is obviously excellent considering its author— or mix it up with iconic tracks from a selection of older Final Fantasy titles. You can choose a particular title, or use the random option to get a surprise soundtrack to play over each fight.

A unique art direction

The art direction of Fantasian: Neo Dimension is nothing short of extraordinary. The game’s world is built entirely from hand-crafted dioramas, which have been digitally recreated using drones equipped with 3D scanning technology. This meticulous process resulted in over 150 dioramas that form the game’s various environments, each one brimming with hand painted details.

The dioramas are crafted with an unparalleled level of care, with contributions from notable artists, including Akira Toriyama, the mastermind behind Dragon Ball, and veterans from Japan’s Tokusatsu industry, known for their work on practical effects in films and television.

Exploring these diorama-based environments feels like stepping into a work of art, with layers of textures and intricate details I wished I could simply reach through the screen and touch. The physical craftsmanship creates a visual experience that is entirely unique to the title.

Merging legacy with innovation

One of the most remarkable aspects of Fantasian: Neo Dimension is how it masterfully combines classic JRPG elements with some innovative gameplay mechanics. Fans of traditional JRPGs will find comfort in the familiar turn-based combat system, complete with elemental weaknesses and your classic spells. However, the game introduces a simple twist by allowing players to manually aim the trajectory of attacks and spells, enabling them to ricochet off multiple enemies. Some of these attacks will be your classic area-of-effect spell or single-target slash, but other attacks will pass through enemies and you can manually adjust the curve of the spell to hit specific enemies in its path. This added layer of strategy is super satisfying, particularly during large-scale battles.

And to boot, larger scale battles are guaranteed by the Dimengeon system, a feature that addresses perhaps one of the most common criticisms of traditional JRPGs: the sometimes repetitive random encounters. Instead of regularly battling the same enemies in the overworld, Fantasian allows you to store these encounters in the Dimengeon, an alternate dimension where you can tackle them all at once. A couple caveats to this: any enemy you haven’t encountered yet will still trigger an instant battle, and you can only store a certain number of enemies before you’ll have to dip your toes in the Dimengeon and clear the queue.

This system not only streamlines gameplay, allowing you some lovely uninterrupted exploration phases, but also allows for some excellent fights. When you enter the Dimengeon, you’ll find various bonuses scattered throughout letting you steal an enemy’s turn or buff your party’s attacks. Picking these up by aiming your attacks through the bonuses turns these mass battles into thrilling, high-stakes encounters. I found this system particularly enjoyable, as it allowed for more creative approaches in combat. The sheer number of enemies in these Dimengeon battles – which caps at 30 in a single fight – gave me the opportunity to experiment with different spells and strategies, making each encounter fresh and exciting.

Fantasian: Neo Dimension is a beautifully crafted love letter to the JRPGs of old, enriched with modern enhancements that make it feel fresh and innovative. The combination of stunning handcrafted diorama environments, classic gameplay elements, and new mechanics like the Dimengeon system creates an experience that is both nostalgic and novel. As a fan of the genre, my time with Fantasian: Neo Dimension definitely left me eager for the full release.

Top Bottom